Skip to main content

DIY custom wall to wall industrial style curtain rod


Alright, here comes the moment that you have all been waiting for.....Ok. Ok. Maybe it’s the moment that I have been looking forward to but yet I haven’t gotten around to until now. Its my series on home improvement!!!!!! Over the past year and half I have done tons of projects around my house to update it and give it the style that I wanted. The people in my life saw what I was doing, become inspired, and encouraged me to create this content. I hope that I am able to inspire, educate, and encourage others with this blog. Thank you to all the people who encouraged me. Now I am going to teach you how to make this custom wall to wall industrial curtain rod for around $40!









Materials





1. Measuring tape





2. Metal tubing/pipe





3. Couplings for connecting the pipes





5. Curtain hooks





6. Spray paint (optional)





There are a few things you must do before getting your materials.





preparation





1. Take measurements.





The first thing that you want to do anytime that you are making anything custom is measure your space. It helps to not only write your measurements down but also make a diagram.





Here are my measurements but yours will be different because this is a custom project so I will show you step by step how to make a similar diagram for your space.









Measure the wall





I first took a measurement of the entire length of the wall. Since we are making a curtain rod you should start your diagram by making a straight line. Take note of the measurement.









Measure the space between the windows





This DIY is best if you have multiple windows on a shared wall. Draw squares under the line to represent the number of windows on the wall. Then measure the distance between the windows.





My windows were not equally spaced apart. So this is a very important step to do even if your windows may look like they are equally spaced apart.









Measure the space from the edges of the wall to the first and last window.









Measure the width of each window









Measure and mark where you will place your hooks





I placed my hooks 3” from each corner and in the middle of each set of windows. Find the middle by dividing your measurement by two. I ended up with a total of 4 hooks. I marked my hooks on my diagram with an X.









Find the connection points for the tubing





I was not able to find a 12’ metal tube at my hardware store nor could I fit one through my front door. My bet is neither could you. So instead I purchased 6 metal tubes measuring 5’ each from the hardware store. I connected them with couplings. (Hint the tubes in the electrical section are cheaper. (I paid $4 for each 5’ tube). For a cleaner look you could strategically place the connections at midpoints (which means cutting each of the tubes) or you could just connect each tube end to end. If you connect each tube end to end then you may only have to cut the last one at the end of the wall. I placed my connectors in the middle of each window and in between each set of windows so that my connection sat in the hooks. I marked where I connected my tubes with a dot.









Measure the lengths of your tubing and cut





To find the length that I needed to cut each tube I simply added the measurements between each dot. I first used a pipe cutter to cut the tubes. But that is very time consuming. I just so happened to own a grinder and It cut through the pipe like butter. But if you don’t own a grinder or know someone that does then try getting them cut at your local hardware store.









Finally you are ready to get to the fun part.





installation





2. Install the hooks onto the wall





I placed my hooks at the appropriate points on the wall first using a cardboard template that I made. There are many tutorials on the internet for making a template for curtain hooks. This post is already really long so I won’t include that here.





3. Paint the tubing ( optional )





I painted my tubing black because I thought it gave it a more traditionally industrial look. But the raw metal could work as well for some people.













4. Connect the tubes with the couplings and then place your rod on the hooks like you would a normal rod. The couplings/connectors that I used have screws in them that allow you to tighten them for a more secure connection.













That’s it. Now hang your curtains.









I purchased some curtain ring clips after the fact. I recommend using those to make it easier to change out your curtains. This is one long curtain rod so it’s not something that you want to take down every time you want to change your curtains. So these rings are great. Here is what they look like. If you string them onto your rod then all you have to do to change your curtains is to clip them on.













This project involved a lot of math and tons of planning. I tried to explain things the best that I could but if you want to try this and are still confused about some of the steps then please leave me a comment below I would be happy to help clarify anything. If you want to be notified when I post something new please leave me a comment letting me know that you want to see more from me and be sure to check the notify box. Follow me on Instagram @peaceofrefuge to get sneak peaks on what I will post next. Thank you for reading. đŸŒº


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DIY industrial Lighting | Copper wall Sconce

I have wanted to create some kind of industrial lighting for a while now but to be honest for a long time I didn’t know anything about electrical. I watched many tutorials and in each one they mentioned how easy it was to create a light fixture or lamp. I didn’t believe them because no matter how much I read I could not grasp the concept until I actually tried it hands on. And I promise it really is EASY and AFFORDABLE! I will show you how I made this copper industrial lighting for less than $20 To make this light you will need... Copper spray paint ( black or silver will look cool too) 1/2” PVC pipe cut to the following lengths 2@22” 1@9” 3@2” PVC connections 2- -T connections 1 elbow 2- -Threaded male adapters Light bulb ( not included in the cost but you probably have a light bulb on hand) Light kit ( I got mine for less than $5 Flanges ( I recommend getting these online. They are much more expensive in store) 2 - 1/2” flanges Saw or PVC cutters - you can get a basic hand saw at mo...

How to caulk like a professional

Caulking can be one of the easiest DIY projects. However, if you don’t know what you are doing then it can be the messiest and most frustrating. That’s why there is a whole market of products and a long list of hacks for people who haven’t yet figured out the real secret to getting perfect caulk lines. In this post I will explain how to caulk like a professional and get a perfect finish without the fancy tools. In this post I will share with you guys my 5 tips for getting perfect caulk lines, the different uses for caulk and how caulk can be used to give a project the perfect finish. What can you use caulk for ? For most of us, our first attempt at using caulk will be to caulk a tub. But really caulk can be used to give a clean finish to almost any product with a crack, gap, seam or connection point. It’s great for waterproofing, filling small holes, woodworking, finishing off a project like installing moulding or baseboards, painting projects and much more. ever had an unsightly crac...

3 more DIYs to keep your office functionally organized

It’s one thing to be organized. It is another thing to be functionally organized. Have you ever organized an area of your home and then a week or two later it is right back to being on the hot mess express? Well I have been there and done that. Then I realized that I was organizing but I was not making the space functional. I will make a separate post on how to make any space functionally organized. But in this post I will show you 3 DIYs that will keep your office or home school space functionally organized. You can probably whip up all of these in less than 30 min. DIY file organizer This is my favorite one. I think we all probably have a milk crate in our basement. If you don’t then I recommend finding some kind of square basket or container in your home that will fit a folder. Worst case scenario you will want to check your local thrift store or shop a friend’s basement. A milk crate is the perfect size for a file folder. Once you find the crate or basket you are usin...