Skip to main content

faux concrete Easter bunny


I made this craft using mostly dollar tree items. The dollar tree sells a pack of 5 wooden bunny ornaments. These ornaments are the main base for my project. When I first saw these ornaments, I knew that I wanted to create a mini concrete bunny. I just didn’t know how I would do it. At first I thought I would actually apply a layer of concrete but after I created my faux concrete planters I knew that I wanted to try the same technique on these rabbits. The project truly evolved as I created it. But hey that’s how true artistry works I guess. I am really proud of the final result.













To make these I used





  • Pack of wooden bunnies
  • joint compound
  • wood glue
  • Wood clamps (optional)
  • foam board
  • Floral moss
  • Hot glue and glue gun
  • Scrap wood (optional)








My first step was to glue the wooden bunny ornaments together. I did this by sandwiching the wood glue between the bunnies. This is so that I can form a more 3-dimensional bunny. The more wooden ornaments that you glue together the bigger the bunny.









Once they were glued together I clamped them and let them dry overnight.









Once the glue was dry I gave them a quick sand and began to apply the joint compound to the entire bunny. This gives the piece some some texture.









Once the joint compound is dry, you can add paint. I was going for a faux concrete effect so I used the same paint colors and technique that I used in the faux concrete planter DIY. But after creating these I realized that these could look great in other colors as well.













Now it’s time to work on the base. This is where you will need the moss and the foam board or scrap wood. If you don’t have any scrap wood then you can pick up some foam board from the dollar store. The cool part about the foam board is you could cut it into any shape. Be creative. I cut my foam board into a boring rectangle.

















Next you will hot glue the moss onto the base using the same technique that I used in my moss bunny post.









Hot glue the bunny to the base and you are done.













If you are using a piece of scrap wood then you can paint or stain it then hot glue the bunny on top.













I decorated the shelf on my porch with these.









Follow me on Instagram @peaceofrefuge. To be notified when I post something new please join my email list. Let me know in the comments if you think you will give this a try. Thanks for reading 🌺


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY industrial Lighting | Copper wall Sconce

I have wanted to create some kind of industrial lighting for a while now but to be honest for a long time I didn’t know anything about electrical. I watched many tutorials and in each one they mentioned how easy it was to create a light fixture or lamp. I didn’t believe them because no matter how much I read I could not grasp the concept until I actually tried it hands on. And I promise it really is EASY and AFFORDABLE! I will show you how I made this copper industrial lighting for less than $20 To make this light you will need... Copper spray paint ( black or silver will look cool too) 1/2” PVC pipe cut to the following lengths 2@22” 1@9” 3@2” PVC connections 2- -T connections 1 elbow 2- -Threaded male adapters Light bulb ( not included in the cost but you probably have a light bulb on hand) Light kit ( I got mine for less than $5 Flanges ( I recommend getting these online. They are much more expensive in store) 2 - 1/2” flanges Saw or PVC cutters - you can get a basic hand saw at mo...

How to caulk like a professional

Caulking can be one of the easiest DIY projects. However, if you don’t know what you are doing then it can be the messiest and most frustrating. That’s why there is a whole market of products and a long list of hacks for people who haven’t yet figured out the real secret to getting perfect caulk lines. In this post I will explain how to caulk like a professional and get a perfect finish without the fancy tools. In this post I will share with you guys my 5 tips for getting perfect caulk lines, the different uses for caulk and how caulk can be used to give a project the perfect finish. What can you use caulk for ? For most of us, our first attempt at using caulk will be to caulk a tub. But really caulk can be used to give a clean finish to almost any product with a crack, gap, seam or connection point. It’s great for waterproofing, filling small holes, woodworking, finishing off a project like installing moulding or baseboards, painting projects and much more. ever had an unsightly crac...

3 more DIYs to keep your office functionally organized

It’s one thing to be organized. It is another thing to be functionally organized. Have you ever organized an area of your home and then a week or two later it is right back to being on the hot mess express? Well I have been there and done that. Then I realized that I was organizing but I was not making the space functional. I will make a separate post on how to make any space functionally organized. But in this post I will show you 3 DIYs that will keep your office or home school space functionally organized. You can probably whip up all of these in less than 30 min. DIY file organizer This is my favorite one. I think we all probably have a milk crate in our basement. If you don’t then I recommend finding some kind of square basket or container in your home that will fit a folder. Worst case scenario you will want to check your local thrift store or shop a friend’s basement. A milk crate is the perfect size for a file folder. Once you find the crate or basket you are usin...